More about the requirements
In addition to the qualifications described under The Requirements
tab, you'll need the following core competencies and characteristics:
- A competitive nature and drive to win
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to build strong internal and external relationships
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to present one-on-one or to a group
- Solid analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to explain/teach product and related information to clients, prospects and new hires
- Basic math skills including the ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
- Experience with equipment rental is preferred, ideally construction rental
In addition to these requirements, you will sometimes attend after-hours meetings, such as city council and other local government meetings, golf outings, or other events, and have your phone on 24/7 for urgent customer calls.
More about the role
On a daily basis, you'll promote the sales and rental of NTS trench protection equipment, service, and solutions to the construction industry. You'll spend the majority of your time prospecting for new business and building relationships with contractors. Once you've begun to close deals, you will split your time between account maintenance and direct sales. As part of your sales strategy, you'll provide on-site demonstrations / presentations of NTS products. You will be responsible for delivering job solutions and recommendations, bids, pricing, and customer service, offering full project cradle-to-grave service.
In addition to the responsibilities under The Role
, as part of your specific activities you will:
- Cold call for new business, while supporting existing business
- Build a pipeline of potential opportunities
- Provide updates to existing customers on NTS product modifications, changes, and enhancements
- Act as liaison between the Company and existing customers for current pricing, service, and latest product launches
- Leverage marketing data to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of sales calls and promotions
- Prepare reports for Sales and maintain expense accounts
- Assist and train new hires in NTS products and construction methods, soils and general sales concepts
- Assist outside engineers, inspectors, and other government agencies as it relates to NTS products and services
- Be in the field daily during the prime sales hours -- post-job setup and pre-closing; come into the office weekly (more as you're coming up to speed)
You will also find some opportunities outside of traditional underground construction. For example, we've done projects at music events, sporting events, and many other special events that need crowd control -- anywhere our equipment can be leveraged. The vast majority of your business will be rental, which all tends to repeat, but you'll also sell equipment.
Note: At times, we do work at secure locations such as airports, military bases, prison grounds, etc. To be considered for this role, you must be a U.S. citizen with a clean record, able to pass Homeland Security clearance and other background checks.
More about your success
You probably already know that the construction market in this area is tight-knit and well-connected. Relationship-building and integrity are essential here. Our top salespeople are tremendous relationship builders and take a consultative approach to their customers. They are reliable, honest, available, and persistent, with excellent follow-up/follow-through skills. You will need strong drive, a sense of ownership and the ability to achieve goals independently. At the same time, we'll look to you to be a team player, willing to support the Branch Manager and help other team members. In addition, in order to be an outstanding Outside Sales Representative, you will:
This description is intended to give you a general overview of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and responsibilities.
- Do what it takes to win business; tenacious, motivated, self-driven to meet your numbers
- Dedicate yourself to learning our products and their applications and applying that knowledge in short order
- Maintain a safety-first mindset
- Be willing to work in multiple environments, calling on clients as appropriate to land the sale (i.e., construction and other offices, following clients' individual COVID protocols, job sites, remotely)
- Build strong internal and external relationships
- Make logical decisions; learn from your mistakes